Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New Suklaatwist

I have finished another tunic.  I like this one even better than the first.  I hope it survives the laundry, as I forgot to prewash the fabric.  This is how the pieces look.  The tunic is blue, the sleeve facing is magenta with polka dots.

  My helpers were not really sure about my choice of fabric.

When sewing the elastic to the skirt panels to gather, I found it easier to measure the length of the panel, divide by 4, then sew the panels one after the other marking the measurements when I started a new panel. I wish I had the forethought to cut a few more, because it was nice to have something to anchor the elastic. It's really slippery.

Rudolph went for a romp in the button bowl.  Santa played lifeguard.

This is the tunic ready to have a skirt panel sewn on.  Santa got tangled in the elastic.  Rudolph was no help at all.

This is a sleeve puff with the lining pinned inside.  Rudy is digging the whole cozy thing.

These are the sleeve puffs with the facing attached to the bottom end.

This is a closeup of the puff folded up, getting ready to be basted in preparation for being attached to the sleeve.  I put a daisy pin at each seam so you can see what is meant by "bringing underarm seam of sleeve facing toward the front of sleeve and placing it 4cm away from underarm seam of sleeve."

This is both puffs.  There are pins at each seam here also; I actually used a 5cm measurement.  Note that one seam is rotated right, the other is rotated left.  That's because they go on opposite arms.  If you have both arms coming out of one side of your body, you don't need to worry about this.

This is an aerial view of the puffs.  I think they look awesome from this angle.  Too bad it's not an available view when the tunic is being worn.

Finished shirt.  Love it.  Gets easier the second time around.

Suklaatwist velour tunic from Ottobre Design

OK, so I'm going to post some pictures of one of these adorable tunics while I'm making it, but I figured I'd post some pix of the one I already did.  This is it. Inside out.  And face down, so you're looking at the back of the garment.  and under it is the new turquoise one in progress...

This is the underarm seam from the inside.  Notice that there is no sleeve seam matching up to the underarm (armpit) seam...

That's because the sleeve (puff) seam has been "rotated forward" 4 cm.  You can see where the seam is above my thumb.  and, um, yeah, the seam for the twisted puff part should line up with it, but, well,'s there, right under my thumb, so it's not too mismatched...

This is from farther away so you can see that "rotated forward" means to move the facing (print fabric) seam of the shirt away from the armpit seam and towards the front of the shirt.

If you lined up the seams, there would be no twist in the sleeve puff.

Here, I've turned the sleeve right side out a bit so you can see that the other puff seam and armpit seam line up together.  Perfectly - for once, I might add.

So, it's probably still a little confusing, but maybe when I get the other pix together it will make more sense.